Monday, June 11, 2007

So, did the earth move for you, too?

Well, I forgot to mention this last week, but we actually had a temblor terremoto (an earthquake tremor). It wasn't all that exciting. Just like all the other ones I've felt in my life, by the time I decided that's what it was, it was finished. The paper said it was a 4.7 centered more south of here, toward the Pacific coast. There wasn't any damage or very minor. I didn't actually feel anything move, but the house was creaking a bit. I initially thought it was Cristina, the housekeeper, doing something in the hall outside our room. So, a bit of excitement, but not too much.

Antigua has a lot of ruins because of all the earthquakes they have experienced over the years. They don't seem to ever tear any of them down, either. I suppose that is why the sidewalks and inhabited buildings are nearly all in rough shape. They spend what money they have on keeping the inside of the casa in good shape and in some of the restaurants, not even that, so much. I guess if you think it can all fall down tomorrow, you don't spend a lot of time, money or effort to repair all the cracks and chunks that fall out. Only those that could be dangerous or interfere with usability.

That said, the inside of our casa is spotless. Cristina cleans, mops and dusts everyday. This house is cleaner than ours at home. There are the random cracks and one or two places where the white plaster walls have been stained by water but mostly it's fine. There is some minor maintenance that could be done, our towel (toalle) rack is loose on one side and I have to plug and unplug my bedside lamp to use it, but it adds to the home feel. Not everything in our house works, either.

When I first arrived, I think I described Antigua as both beautiful and icky. The icky was primarily due to how run down and rough so many of the buildings look and how rough the sidewalks are. Altho' letting the dogs crap on the sidewalk adds to the icky factor, as well. I have gotten used to the run down look after nearly 4 weeks and don't notice it nearly as much. But it's still very beautiful, especially since I have gotten to see it under so many conditions.

EspaƱol continues to kick my butt. I don't know whether I'll ever be fluent, but I can understand and interact a bit more every week. Of course, then the school hits me with something else new and different that I have no reference for. I do wish we could slow down. I would rather learn less more throughly than more less well, but I don't really have a choice at this point.

All I gotta do is pass.

Later,

From Antigua,
mel

No comments: