Thursday, June 14, 2007

Nope, not yet. Still no earth moving for me.

I’m writing this offline as the wireless in la casa seems to have gone kaput for the moment. We visited an internet cafe earlier this evening and I posted a quick note just to let everyone know we were ok. This is being written later the same evening about 9:30 Antigua time. I’ll post it online next chance I get.

As a matter of fact, we were completely clueless about the whole thing at the time. We were walking back from lunch at our new favorite restaurant, La Taquiza, or Mama’s Place as we have taken to calling it. Eddie noticed before I did that there were people stirring around in the street more than usual and then someone from one of the shops asked us, “Do you feel it? We’re having a tremor.” Well, no we weren’t, as a matter of fact. The only way I could tell was by looking at the electrical wires strung along the street that were swaying. (Actually, E said later he felt it a little, but I never did. I'm not sure I could tell a tremor from just awkward walking along the cobblestones.)

Turns out it was a 6.8 at the epicenter, which was right off the Pacific coast of Guatemala very near where my friend Crystal and I are going to go to the beach when she arrives. A little place called Monterrico.

There was some damage in outlying areas and some earthslides in places from what we learned from the Internet, but nothing around here.

I appreciate everyone’s concern but you can quit worrying now. We’re fine.

No comments: