Thursday, June 7, 2007

Random things I've learned so far

Rap music in español is not an improvement.

I can get tired of eggs and beans for breakfast.

Papapya doesn't have much taste.

After 3 weeks I've almost learned how to walk on cobblestones and uneven sidewalks, watching for, and avoiding, holes that will break my ankle, dog poop and drivers who aren't watching where they are going.

I am now illiterate in 2 languages, as my English seems to be deteriorating, but I don't have enough español to replace it yet.

Chicken bus drivers are completely loco.

I've figured out at least 2 things you do with crema.

I'm just as bad with numbers en español as I am en inglés.

Rainy season isn't too bad as long as it's warm.

Rainy season can be cold.

It doesn't rain *every day* during the rainy season, nor does it rain all day, mostly.

Antiguans are very patient and mostly good-humored people. They never seem to get annoyed with the people slaughtering their language in attempts to communicate.

It's as beautiful here as it is heartbreakingly poor.

The Guatemalteco's who live in the countryside are as bad as our hillbillies about trashing some spectacular scenery with their garbage.

OTOH - Antigua, which is pretty run down, is surprising clean of trash, dog poop notwithstanding.

If anyone keeping up with this blog has any questions they would like to ask about our experiences here, please feel free to either post a comment on the blog or email me at mellobelle@gmail.com

Later, chicos,
mel

No comments: