Monday, June 25, 2007

The Lost Day

Hello all -

Well, I was felled again yesterday by more suspect food. After a delightful evening at Reilly's Irish pub with my friend Crystal, enjoying a couple of Bombay Sapphire gins and tonics and a very nice vegetable curry, (which I have had on another occasion), I was awakened at 2:30am by a very upset tummy. After repeated discussions about why it would be a terrible idea to go in and toss my curry (as it were), my stomach won the argument and the morning's activity was off to a not-so-wonderful start. I proceeded apace over the course of the remainder of the morning to advanced dry heaves and only after a prolonged nap and getting enough 7-up on my stomach did things settle down. (Not a ginger ale to be found anywhere. I will never leave the country again without, at least, some candied ginger on my person. For medicinal purposes, of course.) ANYWAY, all the so-called excitement lasted just about 12 hours, but I restricted my stomach to soda crackers and 7-up for the remainder of the day, just to show it who was really boss of it.

A not so fun 2nd day for my friend, who only arrived on Friday, but whom I am soooo grateful for being here and be willing to venture out to look for ginger ale and fetch back 7-up. It would have been soooo much more difficult for me to weather that little episode if I had been here alone. With any luck, that will be the end of any more sickness nonsense.

But today, which was a school holiday, (thank Dios!), Dia de Maestros (teacher's day), everything is mostly back to normal and we ventured out to have pedicures, sit in the park and people watch and do a little retail therapy.

After all the rain yesterday today was bright and beautiful all day. If I had to be sick, tho', yesterday was the day to do it, as it literally rained all day and into the evening. It would have not been a good day to be wandering around Antigua, so it was a good excuse for her to hang around the casa and have a low key day.

Things may slow down a bit more on the ole' blog as having been here now for 5 weeks, routine has mostly settled in. I'm pretty much shopped out and there is really not much else to do in Antigua, except for eat, drink and study espaƱol. So, not a lot to report on there.

Crystal and I will be going to the beach at Monterrico this next week-end, so I hope to get some good pics from there and some nice beach time, as well. Wish for no rain while we are there.

That's pretty much it for now.

Hasta luega,
mel