Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Alas, poor me!

I don’t want to make this post a pity party, but I’m afraid that’s what it’s going to be. So, if you don’t want to hear about my severe case of homesickness, you can stop right here.

Yep, that’s right, boys and girls, I’ve got a very serious case of the common homesickness. It appears to have set in yesterday morning. I thought I was better this morning but when I got to school I started with the weepies again for a few moments.

I really hate this, too. I’m not really one to succumb to this sort of thing which is why it has taken me by surprise and is annoying the fire out of me, as well.

I’m not really sure what to do about it, either. Yesterday, I was so miserable I hid in my room all afternoon after I got back from lunch and finished my 2nd book. I tried twice to work on my spanish and didn’t really do much except go through the flash cards, of which I apparently only remember nouns and only about 12 or 15 verbs. Arrrrrg!

Today I do feel slightly better and have made plans to go to dinner with one of the young girls from the school.

I think this has been brought on by a number of things: #1 was Eddie leaving on Sat. I enjoyed being on my own here for about 2 days and now I’m tired of it; #2 I’m just kinda tired of Antigua. Now don’t get me wrong, I still like Antigua very much. The people, in particular, are very friendly and nice, but I’m just tired of being here, of being in this room, of having to decide where to go eat, of feeling like I’m on vacation but I’m not (because I have to try and learn spanish); #3 The wireless has been out at la casa now for almost a week and I don’t know when it will get fixed. That makes it hard to just be able to get on whenever I feel like it (or when I’m feeling lonely); #4 The spanish is really NOT going well. I’m still struggling with things that were introduced our 2nd week and I can’t remember words almost as soon as I look them up. I’m getting very frustrated fighting with it every day, despite the EXTRAORDINARY patience of each and everyone of the teachers I’ve had.

I’m sure there are many more reasons, but those seem to be the ones off the top of my head. Crystal arriving this coming Friday will certainly help alleviate many of my symptoms, but I fear they will only come back worse once she leaves.

Anyway, that’s it for the pity party. I’m just pretty tired of doing this right now. Thank you for your indulgence if you got this far.

No comments: