Sunday, July 1, 2007

Well, being at the beach is just about better than being anywhere else, but.....

I’m typing this in our room at Dos Mundos Resort, Monterrico but no one will read it until we have returned to Antigua. At least, I think we’re in Monterrico. That’s what the sign said, but unfortunately, we aren’t actually *in* Monterrico. Turns out it’s about 2k down the beach. I thought that was closer to 3.2 miles, but some guy at the bar said it’s only about a mile and 1/2. Irregardless, I may try to walk down that way along the beach in the morning and see what I can see. Otherwise, my choice is to stay stuck here, where the only thing to do is hang around the pool and drink. Not a bad option, mind you, but I was actually hoping for just a bit more from our jaunt to la playa.

The hotel is as lovely as the one in Panajachel, but since they have only been open for 6 months they don’t have ANYTHING set up to do. No trips, no tours, no INTERNET!, no massages, no way to go to town. Nada, nothing. Those of you who know me, know I can be a slug along with best of the sloths, slugs and other creatures for whom sometimes moving at all is just too much damn trouble. But, damnit, there are things to see down here and I want to see some of them!

There is an ecological preserve nearby that you can arrange boat tours through. I probably can’t get down to the town early enough to arrange that. But, who knows, I may be up with the birds in the morning, since I’m sure I’ll be in bed early tonight, since THERE IS NOTHING TO DO HERE. There is not even a TV in the room.

I saw some kids go down the beach on ATV’s. If I can find that place, I may see about renting one of those thru Sunday. Oh yeah, did I mention that we are here until 2:30 on Sunday?

I wouldn’t mind taking a boat trip along the coast either, but I haven’t seen a single boat out in the water, so that may not even be an option.

And right now, I don’t even have my traveling buddy, Crystal, to be talking with. She fell under the weather yesterday afternoon and was feeling better until we drove down here and traveled on some truly horrible washboard roads right at the end. She has been sleeping since we got here and doesn’t even know yet about our lack of options.

The waves are incredible here, however. Really, really huge. That's partially the effect of the full moon but huge nonetheless.

I’m probably going to finish the ONE BOOK I brought with me, but I’m going to try and pace myself because have I mentioned THERE IS NOTHING TO DO HERE?

More later as I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to write blog entries just not sure I’ll have anything to say in them because THERE IS NOTHING TO DO HERE!!!

No comments: